Monday, April 20, 2009

Apple Pie Adventureland Scoop

Suprisingly, this movie got rave reviews. Do I think it deserved this? No


While I wasn't expecting a Superbad 2, I was a little disappointed with this film.  Therefore, I give it a two out of four stars.

Taking place in the summer of 1987, Adventureland is the story about a rich college student who receives news that his parents have gone broke and are unable to pay for his tuition.  His plans for a European vacation are halted and he's forced to work at a rundown theme park where he meets a whole slew of interesting characters.

The soundtrack is oozing with 80s goodness.  However, I was a little upset that my beloved "Blister in the Sun" by the Ramones wasn't in the actual movie.  I would have grinned ear to ear like a fool.  It's one of my all time favourite songs! EVER.

In all honesty, the script is pretty good.  Where did the movie go wrong?

The casting...and one person in particular: Kristen Stewart.

I truly believe this movie had mad potential to do well but Kristen Stewart ruined it for me.  She's not passionate enough when she acts.  Instead, she almost comes off as a nerve-wracked, emotionless teenager.   She did the same thing playing Bella in Twilight.  It's almost like she needs a strong male counterpart to make up for what she lacks in the acting department.  This actually makes me worry about how she'll deliver New Moon which is supposed to be a very emotionally charged movie.  She's also set to play Joan Jett in The Runaways.  Seriously? I really don't think she's going to make a good Joan Jett.  Why do critics praise her so much?

To end on a good note, I loved Jesse Eisenberg.  While he's no Michael Cera, he totally reminded me of him. He charmed my pants off in this film and I really think he has star potential, should he be given the chance to shine.  There's something sexy about those nerdy-lookin-subtly-funny-a-little-too-skinny boys.   

No comments:

Post a Comment